Lambda going out of fashion

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 23 03:47:28 EST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:13:28 +1000, Stephen Thorne
<stephen.thorne at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a little worried about the expected disappearance of lambda in
> python3000. I've had my brain badly broken by functional programming
> in the past, and I would hate to see things suddenly become harder
> than they need to be.

Me too.
But its not only about becoming harder, I actually like the fact
that lamda exists as a tie in to the actual concept of an
anonymous function. When you read a math book on lambda calculus
its nice to transform those concepts directly to the language.

The current Pythonic lambda has its limitations, but being able
to explicitly create lambdas is a nice feature IMHO. Its much
better than having to create lots of one-off single use functions
with meaningless names.

It can't be that hard to maintain the lambda code, why not just
leave it there for the minority of us who like the concept?

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website