".>>>" is a good idea! (OT, was: Re: do you master list comprehensions?)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 03:10:39 EST 2004

I wrote:
> Kent Johnson wrote:
>
>> You can do the same thing using a PYTHONSTARTUP file - see
>> http://docs.python.org/tut/node4.html#SECTION004240000000000000000
>>
>> You can change the prompts with
>> import sys
>> sys.ps1 = ' >>> '
>> sys.ps2 = ' ... '
>

> Very cool.  I didn't know about this.  Does anyone know how to make it
> work with Pythonwin[1]?

Solved my own problem here.  For anyone else out there using PythonWin,
the solution that worked for me is to put the following (or whatever
customizations you want) in a sitecustomize.py somewhere on my PYTHONPATH:

import sys
sys.ps1 = 'py> '
sys.ps2 = '... '

PythonWin (as well as my Command Prompt python) now has the above prompts.

Steve