".>>>" is a good idea! (OT, was: Re: do you master list comprehensions?)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 16 09:22:19 EST 2004

Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> This is the first time I see that and I totally like the idea of
>> writing ".>>>" instead of ">>>" at the beginning of a line. Thank you
>> Dr. Dobb! It's unfortunate for c.l.py that Python uses ">>>" as the
>> default prompt as it messes up the display on mail/news readers that
>> provide "syntax highlighting" for quotes.

I use Thunderbird, and started doing it so I could read my own posts. I did copy
it from someone, though (but I can't recall who).

The trick can also be useful for web tools that strip leading whitespace.

> Prepending every line with . is not an ideal solution though... I think
> it gets tiresome very quickly.

Aye, can't argue with that. It does have the virtues of reliability and
portability, though :)

Cheers,
Nick.