Python To Send Emails Via Outlook Express

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Dec 20 07:47:52 EST 2004

ian at kirbyfooty.com wrote:

> Hi Fredrik,
> Thank you for the suggestion.
>
> I tried different from/to settings and guess what? The mail came thru.
>
> The script is now..
> import win32com.client
>
> s = win32com.client.Dispatch('CDO.Message')
> s.From = "ian at cgbs.com.au"                                (was
> "ian at kirbyfooty.com")
> s.To = "ian at kirbyfooty.com"                                  (was
> "someone at yahoo.com")
> s.Subject = "The subject"
> s.Send()
>

> My problem is thought, the message is still not being sent via Outlook
> Express.
> What am I missing?
> Thanks again for your help so far!!
>
> Kind regards
> Ian

Unfortunately Outlook Express isn't programmable in the same way as
Outlook. I used to use it because this property gave it a certain degree
of immunity from macro viruses (back in the days when Outlook came
configured to open any Office document it came across).

About the next you can do is to add your email address as a Cc and then
file the messages when you receive them, I suspect.

Why the insistence on using Outlook Express, is you don;t mind me asking?

regards
  Steve
(who almost always uses smtplib)
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119