RPC with Python - Comparison?

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Tue Dec 7 02:17:52 EST 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:38:16 -0800, johng2001 wrote:
> Anyone has any insights on REST Vs SOAP/XML-RPC? I have seen these debates
> else where on the web. Just want to know what the view point here is.

I've seen people argue this point a bajillion times, and honestly, I think
the best insight is that there *is* no insight. Each of those three things
(XML-RPC is not the same as SOAP, it is *way* simpler with the associated
costs and benefits) are exactly what they look like, three entries on a
pretty typical cost/benefit scale, with the primary tradeoffs being
between ease of use and cross-platform/language. There's a time and a
place for each, they don't really overlap much, and people trying to fit
the world into the One True RPC, in my experience, generally only have
experience in one of the RPC domains and mistake their experience for
global truth.