PHP vs. Python

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Wed Dec 22 21:09:12 EST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:43:21 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:

> JZ <spamerom at niet.com> writes:
>> But pure speed is not the all. Python can scale better,
>
> If a system is fast enough on a single processor, it doesn't need to scale.

Your point is circular; "fast enough (right now)" can be defined as
"doesn't need to scale (right now)".

For any given server app, enough clients will bog it down. If you're
trying to claim that PHP has less trouble with this, I've seen a lot of
PHP sites go down under load, so it is clearly not a non-issue.

Python's scaling isn't automatic, it's just easier to do.