spawn* or exec* and fork, what should I use and how ?

Keith Dart kdart at kdart.com
Thu Dec 16 03:35:11 EST 2004

Lingyun Yang wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I want to use python as a "shell like" program,
> and execute an external program in it( such as mv, cp, tar, gnuplot)
> I tried:

Since you appear to be on a *nix system, a good choice is the proctools
module in the pyNMS package.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pynms

> os.execv("/bin/bash",("/usr/bin/gnuplot",'-c "gnuplot < plot.tmp"'))

You could do this:

import proctools
proctools.spawnpipe("gnuplot plot.tmp")

You can keep your existing Python 2.3 installation, as well.

> 1. why my exec(..) command doesn't work?

It replaces your current process.

> 2. exec* must be with fork ?

in this case, yes. but proctools does that for you.

> 3. In what situation, we choose one over another ?

The fork-and-exec is a common pattern in *nix for spawning another
process. However, there are libraries in Python that do that for you.
See above.

--
                            \/ \/
                            (O O)