Rationale behind the deprecation of __getslice__?

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.com
Thu Dec 9 18:11:25 EST 2004

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't think __getslice__ can be removed from list
(and
> str and tuple) because of backwards compatibility constraints...

Wouldn't it work to have __getslice__ call __getitem__?  And, since
that would be too much of a performance hit, have it check whether its
type is list (or str or tuple), and only call __getitem__ if it is not
(i.e., only for subclasses).  I don't think that would be too bad.

Subclasses would still be free to override __getslice__, but wouldn't
have to.

--
CARL BANKS