Why tuples use parentheses ()'s instead of something else like <>'s?

seberino at spawar.navy.mil seberino at spawar.navy.mil
Wed Dec 29 00:57:02 EST 2004

Tuples are defined with regards to parentheses ()'s as everyone knows.

This causes confusion for 1 item tuples since (5) can be interpreted
as a tuple OR as the number 5 in a mathematical expression
such as x = (5) * (4+6).

Wouldn't it have been better to define tuples with <>'s or {}'s or
something else to avoid this confusion??

Perhaps ()'s are a good idea for some other reason I don't know?

Please enlighten me as I really want to know.
Chris

P.S. I love Python!