Speed ain't bad

Bulba! bulba at bulba.com
Fri Dec 31 08:03:25 EST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:17:10 -0500, Jeremy Bowers <jerf at jerf.org>
wrote:

>I would point out a couple of other ideas, though you may be aware of
>them: Compressing all the files seperately, if they are small, may greatly
>reduce the final compression since similarities between the files can not
>be exploited. You may not care.

The problem is about easy recovery of individual files plus storing
and not deleting the older versions of files for some time (users
of the file servers tend to come around crying "I have deleted this
important file created a week before accidentally, where can I find
it?").

The way it is done I can expose the directory hierarchy as read-only
to users and they can get the damn file themselves, they just need
to unzip it. If they were to search through a huge zipfile to find
it, that could be a problem for them.

--
It's a man's life in a Python Programming Association.