Optional Static Typing

Rahul codedivine at gmail.com
Sat Dec 25 11:26:40 EST 2004

I am assuming that optional type checking is being added for easier
debugging only. So if 'expects' are turned on , python raises
warnings(which do not halt the system) but not when they are turned
off. These will enable easier debugging for new people while not
affecting masters. Also,perhaps, it will be easier to accomodate till
type checking mechanism is perfected(if it is implemented at all that
is) so that python does not stop you when it is in fact  python which
might be making some mistake.(This last statement is a guess only...)

It is similar to assert and __debug__=1 in a way.

So the crux is :
1.Expects is only a bridge between type checking and dynamic typing.
2.Type checking is done only as a tool which you are free to override
if you want to.
3.The objective of type checking here is only to make debugging easier
and not speed/optimization.
4.The point is not that 'expects' be a additional keyword.You can go
like this also :
def (int a,int b): or whatever you like. Only that expects make it a
bit clearer IMHO.

sincerely.,
rahul