why not arrays?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 16 12:15:10 EST 2004

"Scott David Daniels" <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> wrote in message
news:41c1a169$1 at nntp0.pdx.net...
> We know of three implementations of arrays now: the "array" module,

This module for mutable linear homogeneous arrays is already included in
Python since long ago.  It does not compete with the next two.

> the "numpy" implementation, and the "numarray" implementation.

Numpy is the original multidimensional array numerical computation package
from about a decade ago.  As far as I know, it is no longer being
supported/upgraded.  However, it is still used be other packages that
people use.

Numarray is a newer package that I believe is intended to replace numpy and
which has only recently reached perhaps the same level of stability.

(Updates welcome)

Terry J. Reedy