Redirecting ./configure --prefix

Dan bounces at foo.org
Mon Dec 13 21:15:52 EST 2004

I suspect this isn't specifically a Python question, but I
encountered it with Python so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm running Linux (Fedora 2), and just downloaded the Python 2.4
kit.  I did the following from my user account:
     ./configure --prefix=/some/private/dir --enable-shared
     make
     make test # all was okay
     make install

Now, when I try to run this I get the following error:
     python: error while loading shared libraries:
     libpython2.4.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
     file or directory

This library is in /some/private/dir/lib, but that directory is
not being searched.

So, I have these questions:
     - Can I get Python to search /some/private/dir/lib for
       library files?
     - Will sys.path be okay?  How can I make it okay?
     - Is there anything else I need to worry about?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

--