using cmd.exe as a telnet client

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Dec 3 17:49:34 EST 2004

On 2004-12-03, Donnal Walter <donnal at donnal.net> wrote:

> Several months ago I tried using the telnet module (on Windows XP) to
> communicate with a proprietary host on our network. This was
> unsuccessful due to problems with "option negotiation", and I gave up on
> the project for a while. I still have need for this, however, so I
> recently started thinking about alternatives. I suppose I could dig deep
> enough into option negotiation to use the socket module (with telnet as
> a guide), but I am hoping to find a way to use fewer synapses.

You don't have to start from scratch. The telnet module has
hooks built-into it1 so that you can have it call your routines
to handle option negotiation.  I did it once to impliment some
extra Telnet protocol features, and it wasn't difficult.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  How's the wife? Is
                                  at               she at home enjoying