BASIC vs Python

Dan bounces at foo.org
Fri Dec 17 23:07:20 EST 2004

Steve Holden wrote:
> Which, now I remember, Digital Equipment extended to floating-point in
> their FOCAL language.

Never used FOCAL, or VAX Basic for that matter (was it the same thing?),
but I can remember calling the VAX Basic BAS$EDIT routine from Pascal in
college.  BAS$EDIT had most of the basic string operations that are
common today, like trimming whitespace, splitting, upper or lower
casing, etc., and using it was easier than using Pascal's facilities.

My wife picked up an old (c) 1978 version of DEC's Basic user's guide,
and it doesn't list this function, so it must have been added between
then and 1985 when I encountered it.

/Dan

--
dedded att verizon dott net