Versioning Libraries

Richard Brodie R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 07:39:33 EST 2004

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:copjeg$t25$1 at utornnr1pp.grouptelecom.net...

> Anyway, you're confusing "instability" (I hate that word,
> it has connotations of unreliability, which aren't intended)
> with "enhancement".  The API gets changed, yes, but by
> adding new things, almost never by removing the old stuff
> or changing how it works.

I'm not confusing it, I'm disagreeing. Take xreadlines, for
example. Added in 2.1, deprecated in 2.3, removed in 2.4
Perhaps I lead a sheltered life but that's almost infinitely
worse than any other language I have used. It's not a big
issue though: I'm just surprised that what I would regard as
a weakness in Python, others consider a strength.