Step by step: Compiling extensions with MS Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 - msvccompiler-patch.txt (0/1)

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Dec 15 15:55:26 EST 2004

Martin Bless wrote:

>Two things first - not to forget:
>
>(1) In contrast to what Mike writes I had to use a different registry
>key (see step 9)

Which is expected (even noted on the page), particularly if you have a
different version of the SDKs.  The keys in the patch were extracted
from an English Win2K Platform SDK.  Don't know of any *good* way to
figure out the keys in a version-agnostic manner.  Suggestions welcome...

>(2) I don't now what people mean when talking about "msvcr71.lib".
>There's no such file on my machine. BUT there IS a "msvcrt.lib" a
>directory "C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\lib". I
>guess the ".\Vc7\." indicates we are talking of the expected lib.
>Correct? I don't know.

This was sloppy on my part.  msvcr71.dll is the DLL used for Visual
Studio 7.1, we want the .lib for that version of the DLL, but as you
note, it is actually named msvcrt.lib (same as the one for Visual Studio
6.0).

>Get and install the platform SDK "Windows XP SP2 SDK" (about

>It is
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSDK\InstalledSDKs\B44C7E10-89BD-4A32-A3BF-D9D0BC4C9A05
>
>and it is not
>...\63DADB24-DC99-45EB-A748-EC93AB8A7497.
>
>Find out about the correct key in your case and adjust the crucial
>line 133 in msvccompiler.py:
>
>freeSDK=r"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftSDK\InstalledSDKs\B44C7E10-89BD-4A32-A3BF-D9D0BC4C9A05"

Will have to figure out how to make this work across SDK versions somehow.

Thanks for the report,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder