Performance (pystone) of python 2.4 lower then python 2.3 ???

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman at pgs.com
Tue Dec 14 06:29:22 EST 2004

> Hi Lucas,
>

>>On a dual Xeon 3.0 Ghz:
>

> [...]
>

>>Which shows a decrease in performance. Could this have anything to do with the
>>fact that is is a dual processor box?
>

> Maybe. But my 3Gh P4/HT is also detected as a dual processor machine
> (Kernel 2.6), so it might be a general problem with the Xeon?

Hi Mark,

No,the reason that you see 2 times as many processors as really are
installed is the hyperthreading feature of the Xeon (see
http://www.infoworld.com/infoworld/article/02/02/25/020225plxeon_1.html)

I turned it off (in the BIOS). The machine I tested on has 2 (pysical)
processors installed. Turning on or off does not influence the pystone
number significantly..

Regards, Lucas