PySQLLite Speed

Gerhard Haering gh at ghaering.de
Fri Dec 3 03:40:22 EST 2004

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 08:39:31PM -0800, Kevin wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I wanted to thank Roger Binn for his email.  He had
> the answer to my issue with writing speed.  It's
> actual made an incredible change in the preformace.  I
> didn't have to go all the way to implementing the
> synchronous mode(for my app).  Previously, I was
> insert one record at a time.  The key was to write
> them all at one time.  I moved up to a 13 meg file and
> wrote it to the db in secs.  Now the issue is the 120
> meg of RAM consumed by PyParse to read in a 13 meg
> file.  If anyone has thoughts on that, it would be
> great.  Otherwise, I will repost under a more specific
> email.
>
> Thanks,
>       Kevin
>

> db.execute("begin")
>
>     while i < TriNum
>            db.execute("""insert into TABLE(V1_x)
>                 values(%f),""" (data[i]))
>                 i = i + 1

If you're using pysqlite 2.0alpha, then .executemany() will boost performance
*a lot*. For pysqlite 1.x, unfortunately, it won't make any difference. But
generally, .executemany() is a good idea.

Also note that the preferred way of using transactions is to let the DB-API
adapter BEGIN the connection for you, then invoke .commit() on the connection
object.

Sending BEGIN/ROLLBACK/COMMIT via .execute() is bad.

-- Gerhard