Win32 Libs for 2.4

Daniel Dittmar daniel at dittmar.net
Mon Dec 6 18:09:30 EST 2004

Robin Becker wrote:
>> I guess that it won't work if something malloc'ed from the MSC 6
>> runtime is free'd by the MSC 7.1 runtime.
>
> I thought that static .libs didn't make reference to the dll's they
> need; isn't that done at load time?

You're right, DLL-phobia made my thinking less than precise.

The other things I could think of might not apply in this case:
- Routines accessing the elements of FILE* directly. I though library
designers had learned not to export this, but stdio.h still shows it and
some macros from that header file might use it (a problem only if the
definitions in MSC 6 and MSC 7.1 differ)
- calling conventions: in the past, that was a problem mostly with
functions returning structs. (Meaning caller and callee would implement
it differently if they were compiled by different compilers)

Daniel