(Mac-specific) AppScript bug

has has.temp2 at virgin.net
Thu Dec 23 04:54:15 EST 2004

George van den Driessche wrote:
> (This is really for Hamish Sanderson, I think, but I can't find an
> e-mail address for him.)

No worries. (Email addy is buried in appscript-0.7.1 > Manual.txt >
Authors, though some releases listed a duff address which certainly
didn't help. Better documentation is on my TO-DO list.)

> On OS X 10.3.7, with XCode 1.5 and all the latest AppScript packages
> installed, writing this:
>
>   a = appscript.app( 'XCode.app' )
>
> causes a crash in terminology.py:
[...]
> code is a FourCC identifying some part of XCode's script interface.
You
> would imagine that every such part would have either a plural name or
> singular name, but in this case somehow the FourCC '****' has ended
up
> in self._elements and it has neither. Any idea how that might arise?

Sounds like a bug in XCode's terminology resource. I'd need to see the
raw terminology to say for sure. If you want to use the
osaterminology.tools.quickdoc module to dump it to text file and send
if over I'll take a look.

>  If you change the marked line (104) to read:
>
>   			name = self._pluralClassNames.get(code,
> self._singularClassNames.get(code, '____'+code))
>
> then the rest of the terminology seems to run fine, and you just end
up
> with one bogus entry called '____****' in the app's attributes.

Appscript-0.9.0 does this. Should be ready in another few days - I'll
post when it's out. Buggy terminology resources are unfortunately a
fairly common problem, and I'm still figuring out how best to deal with
them. Welcome to the wonderful and wonky world of Mac application
scripting. :p

HTH and thanks,

has