PEP 338: Executing modules inside packages with '-m'

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 14 07:20:36 EST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> in my original post, I said
>
>     I'd say that for a typical user, "A" is a marginal improvement over
>     "B", compared to "C".
>
> which, I thought, tried to say that for a user expecting "C", neither "A" nor "B"
> is good enough.

Ah, OK - that makes a lot more sense than the way I read it (it looked to me as
if you expected option B to do the same thing as option A. It didn't seem likely
you really believed that, but that was the only interpretation I saw at the time).

Anyway, as my other rambling message points out (eventually) - this feature is
intended for developers and Python version specific utility scripts like pdb,
profile and pychecker.checker, rather than launch scripts for full applications.

For end users, I agree with you wholeheartedly - applications should behave like
applications, no matter what language they're written in :)

Cheers,
Nick.