Event-Driven Woes: making wxPython and Twisted work together

Daniel Bickett dbickett at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 13:31:29 EST 2004

Hello,

I am writing an application using two event-driven libraries:
wxPython, and twisted. The first problem I encountered in the program
is the confliction between the two all-consuming methods of the two
libraries: app.MainLoop, and reactor.run. Additionally, the fact that
wxPython was to receive requests from the twisted framework as well as
the end user seemed to be simply asking for trouble.

My initial solution was, naturally, the wxPython support inside of the
twisted framework. However, it has been documented by the author that
the support is unstable at this time, and should not be used in
full-scale applications. I instinctively turned to threading, however
on top of the trouble that this has caused on its own, it has
repeatedly been suggested by the twisted IRC channel not to do this.
After much dwelling on the issue, I have resolved to turn to c.l.py,
to see if anyone had a solution to this problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated,

Daniel Bickett