Python mascot proposal

Adam DePrince adam at cognitcorp.com
Mon Dec 13 19:11:32 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 14:50, James Stroud wrote:
> As far as python.png below is concerned, I am reminded of the structure of the
> HIV virus: http://www.avert.org/pictures/hivstructure.htm
>
> Pleasing to virologists and drug companies, but as a single, computer-type
> guy, it makes my skin crawl in more ways than one.
>
> On Sunday 12 December 2004 07:40 pm, Brian Beck wrote:
> > Here are a couple of images/logos (quite a bit
> > different from a mascot) I've been working on...
> >
> > http://exogen.cwru.edu/python.png
> > http://exogen.cwru.edu/python2.png
> >
> > If anyone can think of a way to break free of the reptile-oriented
> > thought process but maintain clear, symbolic imagery, I'd love to see
> > more suggestions or renditions!

The notion of python as a meme, a mental virus, something ubiquitous,
invasive and unavoidable like the common cold or a half time ad isn't
bad.  A rebellion against the accusations made by some that open source
code is viral would be nice.

But I agree, python.png is a bit harsh.  It screams "rigid,
militaristic, violent."  It is also dangerous; if I saw that on the
bumper of an overturned car I wouldn't stop to help -- I'd run like
hell.  We don't want Python aficionados to die from lack of medical care
while hazmat teams look up arcane symbols on underpowered field hardened
laptops while wearing inch thick gloves.

When I think of Python in emotional terms.  A plush toy like Tux is more
appealing.

As for python2.png ... does the snake get all smushed up in the gear if
it turns?

Adam DePrince