Compiled bytecode

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti at hotpop.com
Thu Dec 30 16:07:21 EST 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> The main script is generally not compiled, but all imported
> scripts are generally compiled automatically, the first time
> they are imported, and never again unless the source changes.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression
that the main script *is* compiled, but the byte-code compiled file is
kept in memory, and not written to disk.

That's what makes this work:

------ file1.py -----

import dis

def f():
     a = 1
     print a

dis.dis(f)

 > python file1.py
   4           0 LOAD_CONST               1 (1)
               3 STORE_FAST               0 (a)

   5           6 LOAD_FAST                0 (a)
               9 PRINT_ITEM
              10 PRINT_NEWLINE
              11 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
              14 RETURN_VALUE