Tkinter vs wxPython

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 30 08:58:09 EST 2004

Steve Holden wrote:
> Bernd Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Sure, but on my Linux, I use KDE, never Gnome, other people use
>> Windowmaker or something else. wxPython with KDE-Look? What is the
>> native look with wxPython and KDE? I don't think there is something
>> like this, and the problem is that there isn't a free QT on Windows.
>>
>> Bernd
>

> Well, of course, the problem with X Window has always been when you ran
> an application built using one toolkit under a window manager built
> using another. *Then* the ugliness is due to the fact that different
> parts of the window are decorated by different toolkits. That's always
> going to be ugly.

Not always - the KDE and Gnome folks are doing a fair bit of work to make apps
written with each others' framework blends in with the currently running window
manager.

To answer Bernd's question, a wx-based app will looks as good on KDE as any
other GTK app does. For most distros, the app should look fine, since the vendor
generally sets up the Gnome and KDE themes to be virtually identical.

As I understand it, there are a couple of cross-theming engines that allow you
to set GTK to 'use the KDE theme' and vice-versa so that apps written with the
'other' toolkit track any changes you make to the theme used by your window manager.

Cheers,
Nick.