Problem with msvcrt60 vs. msvcr71 vs. strdup/free

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Dec 21 10:00:34 EST 2004

Gerhard Haering <gh at ghaering.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I used to build Python extension modules with mingw. Now, Python has
> switched to the MSVCR71 runtime with version 2.4, and I thought mingw
> has support for this. But I get problems with symbols being referenced
> from the wrong DLLs.
>
> You can see the problem by compiling this:
>
> ##################
> #include <string.h>
>
> int main()
> {
>     char* s;
>     int i;
>

>     for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
>         s = strdup("foo");
>         free(s);
>     }
>
>     return 0;
> }
> ##################
>
> with gcc x.c -lmsvcr71
>
> Then if you run a.exe it crashes.
>
> If you use depends.exe on it, you see that it resolves strdup() via
> msvcrt, but the rest with msvcr71.dll. That's why strdup() is using
> the one malloc, but free() a different free() from the other DLL,
> which is undoubtedly the reason for the crash.
>
> Is there any way I can force mingw to not link in msvcr for things
> like strdup?

Only guesswork, but replacing this section in the
lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\3.2.3\specs file (I can only guess wht this file does)

  *libgcc:
  %{mthreads:-lmingwthrd} -lmingw32 -lgcc -lmoldname -lmingwex -lmsvcrt

with this one:

  *libgcc:
  %{mthreads:-lmingwthrd} -lmingw32 -lgcc -lmoldname -lmingwex -lmsvcr71

seemed to do the trick.

Thomas