Raw Sockets vs. What?

Matt matt.fryer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 05:35:25 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to Python (1 week), but I'm writing an out-of-process debugger
for a Python ide. I tried execFile first, but stuff leaked over from
the wx libraries we are using. And, anyway, the next code set is PHP so
this has to be tackled anyway.

So, the question: How to communicate between two instances of the
python interpreter? Specifically, I need to pass the api and objects
from bdb, the base class for the debugger. One interpreter runs the
ide, the other the debugger and client code. We were talking and just
opening a socket and doing the rest from there came up. This, to me,
(admitedly a java guy) seems like a lot of work. If it were just
setting breakppoints and stepping, well ok. But I also want to have
introspection on the debugger side objects.

I could use raw sockets and write a bunch of stuff.

Does anyone have a suggestion about some pythonesque way to tackle
this?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt