Python for Palm OS?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Tue Dec 7 23:48:42 EST 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>
>> I just got myself a new Treo 650 and was looking around for Python for
>> Palm projects.  The only ones I find are Pippy
>>
>>     http://pippy.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> and Python to Palm Pilot Port
>>
>>     http://www.isr.uci.edu/projects/sensos/python/
>>
>> both of which look to be rather stale.  They're both based on the 1.5
>> codebase, and both appear to be unmaintained (Pippy has the last news
>> date in 2002; I couldn't find an obvious date for PPPP).
>>
>> Is there any news regarding Python on the Palm OS front?
>

> I haven't seen any news, and gave up on the above as well.
>
> I did, however, find http://netpage.em.com.br/mmand/plua.htm ,
> a Palm port of Lua (4.0 currently, 5.0 in beta).  It's quite
> effective and, to a Python fan, not so far from Python that
> I particularly mind.
>
> Just an FYI...
>
> -Peter

As mentioned, since Pippy is pretty old or rather based on rather old
code base, can it be assumed that not much is happening at this front?

This might be dumb to ask then, does anyone know if Pippy had been used
in any noticeable form for Palm development anywhere? Or it's more of an
proof of concept kind of thing? Or has anyone envisioned anything?

Cheers
Maurice