Python mascot proposal

Dimitri Tcaciuc dtcaciuc at sfu.ca
Sun Dec 12 19:42:54 EST 2004

Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
> Hey Dimitri,
>
> I completely agree with you in that Python needs once for all a cool
> logo.
> I like your design very much, but I have a few thoughts about it:
>
> 1) I think that Python's logo should reflect its power.
> If we use a mascot as its image, we would be giving the wrong idea:
> that Python is a "toy" language, instead of a very good alternative to
> other mainstream languages.
>
> 2) We should also bear in mind Guido's oppinion about using a snake for
> identifying Python.
>
> 3) And finally, we should consider it very seriously. Image is not
> everything, but it is very important for "marketing" a product. I'm
> sure that if Java didn't have a cool name and a cool logo, it wouldn't
> have been that succesfull.
>
> I don't mean to sound like I'm rejecting your idea. I really like it
> alot, and it is an excellent mascot.
> It's just that I wouldn't use a mascot... I'd rather use a more
> "killer" image.
> Something that reflects power and excellence.
>
> What do you think?

Hehe, well, looking at linux, Tux is definitely not a killer type, yet
it became very popular. BSD devil is kind of a cutsy thing, yet it
proved to be pretty popular as well.

Not sure if the word 'marketing' applies here, but I agree that the logo
could probably be 'more serious' than what I proposed above. I'll think
about that one some more.

Cheers,