How did you learn Python?

Brian van den Broek bvande at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Dec 3 11:51:25 EST 2004

Shawn Milo said unto the world upon 2004-12-03 09:54:
> I was just wondering what the best books were for learning Python.
>
> Which books are good for getting started, and which should be saved for
> later, or or not useful except as a reference for the learned?
>
> I have a decent programming background in VB, JavaScript, VBScript,
> Net.Data (IBM's macro language), regular expressions, and a teensy bit of
> Perl. My point is, I don't want something that is going to explain the basic
> programming concepts, but does give a good introduction to Python-specific
> things. Then, once I know how to get the job done, I would like a good book
> or two at the intermediate to advanced level, to learn how to write really good code.
>
> I understand that resources such as this list and Google searches have all the answers,
> but it seems like a more structured tool, such as a book or formal class, would be
> of great benefit to me. The other languages I have used were picked up because of the
> need to get a job done. As a result, I am able to get the job done, but any experienced
> coder can show me six more efficient ways to do what I'm doing. I'm new to
> Python, and I want to do this one right. I believe that Python will be
> around for a good, long time, and it matches my values as an Open-Source/Linux
> supporter, while having relevance in the Windows and Mac world, as well.
> Plus, it looks like it was designed extremely well, and I'm excited about the
> principles I've read about.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Hi Shawn,

I'm not done learning (and not just in the sense that no one ever
finishes learning -- I'm a hobbyist not a pro). But, I found Learning
Python <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lpython2/> really useful. Once
I'd read that, Python in a Nutshell has been great to remind me of what
I learned but 'misplaced' <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonian/>.

I've not read all of it, and it overlaps a fair bit with Learning
Python, but the free Dive Into Python reads well and is often cited as a
good intro for those with programming experience.
<http://diveintopython.org/>. It is also available as a dead-tree
product from APress.

HTH,

Brian vdB