PIL for Windows for Python 2.4

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Dec 7 20:42:30 EST 2004

Scott F wrote:
> As there is no build for Python 2.4, I attempted to put it together
> from source.  Running
>
>     	setup.py build
>
> gives this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\tmp\PIL\Imaging-1.1.4\setup.py", line 60, in ?
>     for line in open(os.path.join("libImaging",
> "ImConfig.h")).readlines():
> IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'libImaging\\ImConfig.h'
>
> Appears to be putting in two backslashes.

Actually, you're just seeing the repr() of the filename.
You really are missing that file in the place where it's
looking.  Note the similarity in the last two errors here:

 >>> open('test/this')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'test/this'
 >>> open('test\\this')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'test\\this'
 >>> open(r'test\this')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'test\\this'

-Peter