Securing a future for anonymous functions in Python

Simo Melenius firstname.lastname at iki.fi-spam
Fri Dec 31 16:56:09 EST 2004

Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> writes:

> But I do think there's other ways to approach this.  Function
> expressions could get really out of hand, IMHO, and could easily lead
> to twenty-line "expressions".  That's aesthetically incompatible with
> Python source, IMHO.

You can already write unaesthetic hundred-line Python functions, if
you want to. Python's syntax doesn't yet impose a restriction on the
number of sequential statements :-) It sounds artificial to impose
such restrictions on these hypothetical "inline blocks", even if by
only allowing them to be plain expressions.

IMHO, the most pythonic way to write an "inline-block" is by reusing
existing keywords, using Python-like start-of-blocks and ending it by
indentation rules:

map (def x:
         if foo (x):
             return baz_1 (x)
         elif bar (x):
             return baz_2 (x)
         else:
             global hab
             hab.append (x)
             return baz_3 (hab),
     [1,2,3,4,5,6])

and for one-liners:

map (def x: return x**2, [1,2,3,4,5,6])

As a side-effect, we also

- got rid of the "lambda" keyword;

- strenghtened the semantics of "def": a "def" already defines a
  function so it's only logical to use it to define anonymous
  functions, too;

- unified the semantics: function is always a function, and functions
  return values by using "return". When learning Python, I learned the
  hard way that "lambda"s are expressions, not functions. I'd pay the
  burden of writing "return" more often in exchange for better
  consistency.

my two cents,
br,