installing wxPython on Linux and Windows

Peter Maas peter at somewhere.com
Thu Dec 2 09:29:53 EST 2004

Diez B. Roggisch schrieb:
>>Same task on Win2k: download wxPython-setup.exe, double-click, done.
>>Took me approx. 1 minute. This strikes me. Why are some tasks so hard
>>on Linux and so easy on Windows? After all wxPython/Win and wxPython/Lin
>>are made by the same developers. My guess: the software deployment
>>infrastructure on Linux needs to be improved.
>

> On debian, it
>
> apt-get install wxPython2.5.3

I have heard praises of Debian's install system but Debian is quite
conservative with latest versions. There are some packages (e.g. Python,
PostgreSQL, Subversion) where I'd like to have the latest versions.
I don't want to be too tightly bound to the update cycles of the
Linux distribution.

> All the points are of course only an explanation, no excuse - there _could_
> be better installers. As I showed, in  parts that's already available, e.g.
> for debian which handles dependencies usually much better and is easier to
> use for online updates. I think we have to wait until consistent dependency
> checking and so on are established - maybe LSB helps us there.

If there would be a common specification how to query and change
configuration data of the system and applications this would be
really helpful.