input record sepArator (not sepErator)

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Mon Dec 20 17:13:36 EST 2004

Terry Reedy wrote:

> 'separate' (se-parate == take a-part) and its derivatives are perhaps the
> most frequently misspelled English word on clp.  Seems to be 'par' for the
> course.  It has 2 e's bracketing 2 a's.  It derives from the Latin
> 'parare', as does pare, so 'par' is the essential root of the word.
>
> My gripe for the day, just to let non-native writers know what not to
> imitate.

I hereby suggest seperate/(separate+seperate) as the hamburger standard (see
http://www.oanda.com/products/bigmac/bigmac.shtml) for technical
communities. Some data points, adjectives only, s.e.e.o.:

the web: 4%
python: 9%
slashdot: 26%
perl: 29% *

Now draw your conclusions...

Peter

(*) Do you really believe I would have posted that if the outcome were in
favour of perl? No, definately not... lest you run out of gripes...