extending python with a C-written dll

Jean-Baptiste PERIN jb_perin at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 21 04:19:57 EST 2004

> That's got nothing to do with Python.  You have to compile
> extensions using a compiler that has an ABI that's compatible
> with the ABI of the compiler used to compile Python.
>
> You appear to be using a binary distribution of Python that was
> compiled with MSVS 6.0, therefore, you have to compile
> extensions with a compiler that has an ABI compatible with MSVS
> 6.0.
>
> It's no use complaining to us bout your C compiler not being
> ABI compatible with MSVS 6.0.
>
> If you don't like MSVS, then your options are to either use a
> different Python binary distro that was compiled with an ABI
> that's compatible with your C compiler, or build just build it
> yourself using whatever compiler you want. I suspect the latter
> will also require re-compiling Blender.

According to what I read in this forum, MinGW is an interesting option..
do you know if it is ABI compatible with MSVC?

otherwise.. I'm gonna explore the solution which consist in building the
dll with cygwin's gcc .. I've already recompiled Blender with gcc .. I
know that, in Blender code, there are C++ function that are available
from Blender's python ..
I've  started exploring the makefile.. apparently they are using dlltool
  in conjonction with gcc ..

thank you very much for your help ..