Python To Send Emails Via Outlook Express

ian at kirbyfooty.com ian at kirbyfooty.com
Mon Dec 20 08:17:06 EST 2004

Hi Steve,
> Why the insistence on using Outlook Express, is you don;t mind me
asking?
Good question.
The problem is that I have a developed a freeware application called
Kirby Alarm And Task Scheduler (see www.kirbyfooty.com).
The program can pop up a note, run a program, play a sound, or send an
email at whatever intervals the user wants..

When it comes to sending emails the user has the option of sending them
via smtp, or via there email client (eg outlook express).
I prefer the send method as this makes setting up the email parameters
a lot easier for the user.
As the program is used by over 16,000 people around the world I don't
want to complicate things by asking them to enter the mail server
properties.
I have written Kirby Alarm in Clarion. It can currently send the email
via outlook express by calling MapiSendMail.

I wanted to do the same thing in Python so I can build up a suite of
useful utilities and therefore try an keep the program size relatively
small.

Ian