Calling a C program from a Python Script

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Dec 9 13:19:36 EST 2004

On 2004-12-09, Brad Tilley <bradtilley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to write a file open, then read program in C and then
> call the C program from a Python script like this:

Huh?  What do you mean "write a file open"?  You want to read a
C source file and execute the C source?  If you have access to
a C interpreter, I guess you could invoke the interpreter from
python using popen, and feed the C source to it.  Alternatively
you could invoke a compiler and linker from C to generate an
executable and then execute the resulting file.

> for root, files, dirs in os.walk(path)
>      for f in files:
>          try:
>              EXECUTE_C_PROGRAM

You're going to have to explain clearly what you mean by
"EXECUTE_C_PROGRAM".  If you want to, you can certainly run a
binary executable that was generated from C source, (e.g. an
ELF file under Linux or whatever a .exe file is under Windows).

> If possible, how much faster would this be over a pure Python
> solution?

Solution to what?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  And furthermore,
                                  at               my bowling average is