Importance of C# (was Re: IronPython-0.6 is now available!)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Aug 6 19:06:07 EDT 2004

Indrek Kruusa wrote:

> A little comparison of C#, perl and python here (Speed test in menu):
>
> http://www.tuleriit.ee/progs/

After a quick glance over it, I would say that is not Python!

Or rather, it's just the same C# code implemented in primitive
Python that doesn't try to take advantage of the libraries
that exist (except for time.strptime).

There is a "csv" module which should eliminate much of the
drudgery of parsing the csv files containing the data.
I suspect there are some other significant improvements
that could be made as well.

Language comparison is a hard thing: what happens when you
pick a test case that can be handled much more easily in
one language than in another?  Do you pick a new test case,
or write inefficient code that no programmer experienced in that
language would actually write?   I'm not sure of the answer...
but would probably be helpful to explain which choices you
have made, so as not to mislead readers who are unfamiliar
with one of the languages.  (For example, I suspect the Perl
code could be much shorter as well, but I don't know much
Perl so I couldn't say.  What I do see there would give me
no reason at all to consider Perl instead of C# or Python.)

-Peter