Why I love python.

Nick Patavalis npat at efault.net
Fri Aug 13 14:23:21 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-13, Michael J. Fromberger
<Michael.J.Fromberger at Clothing.Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:

> Why is it important to write an entire program in a single language
> (e.g., Python), versus using a hybrid approach?  If you can use Python
> at all, that means your platform already has good support for a C
> compiler, so there is no reason not to use C extensions if you really
> need performance.

If this is the best thing possible then yes, this is a solution. But
you see, I believe that even for these performance-sensitive parts,
Python has a lot to offer in terms of expressive power. The question
is: is it possible to make a Python environment fast-enough to be able
to produce code as efficient as a C compiler? I believe the answer is
yes, and we shouldn't be satisfied with the approach "do these glue
things in Python, and for the computationally expensive ones, well
code them in C".

/npat