What GCC version had <stdint.h> defined?

Jeff Epler jepler at unpythonic.net
Thu Aug 26 22:26:43 EDT 2004

I glanced at configure.in and it checks for HAVE_UINTPTR_T, but not
HAVE_INTPTR_T.  If you want this define where it's available, add the
proper test to configure.in and regenerate configure.

I think the block would be something like this, a straightforward
search-and-replace of the block for HAVE_UINTPTR_T:
    AC_MSG_CHECKING(for intptr_t support)
    have_intptr_t=no
    AC_TRY_COMPILE([], [intptr_t x; x = (intptr_t)0;], [
      AC_DEFINE(HAVE_INTPTR_T, 1, [Define this if you have the type
    intptr_t.])
      have_intptr_t=yes
    ])
    AC_MSG_RESULT($have_intptr_t)
    if test "$have_intptr_t" = yes ; then
    AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(intptr_t, 4)
    fi
on the other hand, maybe this test is broken, because my system (Fedora
Core 2) configured with #undef HAVE_UINTPTR_T.

Maybe this article shows the way:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-02/msg00687.html

    AC_MSG_CHECKING(for uintptr_t in C library)
    AC_CACHE_VAL(gdb_cv_have_uintptr_t,
    [AC_TRY_COMPILE([#include <stdint.h>],
           [uintptr_t foo = 0;
                return foo;],
                    gdb_cv_have_uintptr_t=yes,
                    gdb_cv_have_uintptr_t=no)])
    AC_MSG_RESULT($gdb_cv_have_uintptr_t)
    if test $gdb_cv_have_uintptr_t = yes; then
      AC_DEFINE(HAVE_UINTPTR_T)
    fi
... with appropriate renaming for Python.

I'm not sure why uintptr_t or intptr_t are all that useful, since the
spellings "unsigned *" and "int *" are going to work everywhere anyway.

Jeff