Python SOAP?

Nelson Minar nelson at monkey.org
Mon Aug 23 20:00:30 EDT 2004

Ivan Voras <ivoras at __-geri.cc.fer.hr> writes:
> Is anybody using SOAP with Python "seriously"[1]? It seems there's a
> number of implementations out there, but most aren't developed any
> more. Specifically, I hadn't found a library that supports "sessions"
> with SOAP, implemented with HTTP cookies to achieve server-object
> persistance.

There are two active SOAP projects I'm aware of - ZSI and SOAPpy. They
share a home:
  http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

I'd characterize both client toolkits as useful but flawed. I've run
into a lot of interop problems when trying to talk to Apache Axis/Java
based services. They seem to work better with the old rpc/encoded
style but don't work as well with the modern document/literal style.

I don't know if the specific HTTP cookie persistence you're asking for
has been implemented in either. For what it's worth, I wouldn't count
on that approach working reliably in many SOAP implementations.