__name__ becoming read-write?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 23 10:49:41 EDT 2004

Arthur <ajsiegel at optonline.com> writes:

> Did I hallucinate something about __name__ becoming read-write?

For functions?  No, you didn't hallucinate that.

> Not in alpha2.

Indeed.  The changes were only checked in a couple of weeks ago.
They'll be in alpha3.

> Can't find the reference to this I thought I read - that it was
> concluded to be necessary in connection with PEP318.

It's something that's been nagging at me for ages, but it was a PEP
318-related comment that finally prodded me into writing the patch.

> Better get my facts straight first....

Glad to be of service <wink>!

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I've reinvented the idea of variables and types as in a
  programming language, something I do on every project.