Importance of C# (was Re: IronPython-0.6 is now available!)

AdSR artur_spruce at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 06:28:41 EDT 2004

artur_spruce at yahoo.com (AdSR) wrote in message news:<b840abf4.0408070120.2321e219 at posting.google.com>...
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<aZOdnamc0Pt9k4ncRVn-sg at powergate.ca>...
> > <snip>
> > Language comparison is a hard thing: what happens when you
> > pick a test case that can be handled much more easily in
> > one language than in another?  Do you pick a new test case,
> > or write inefficient code that no programmer experienced in that
> > language would actually write?   I'm not sure of the answer...
>
> Well, for me the most interesting test would be to actually use all
> features available in each of the compared languages. So, if the
> standard distribution of a given language includes a library to do a
> task, use that library. If there is a syntax feature that makes things
> easier, use that too. And so on...
>
> I think this is far more useful in real life than just plain
> interpreter/compiled code speed comparison.
> <snip>

>From another thread, with minor correction:

An interesting comparison, if you want to check it for yourself, is
one between the unittest module and what is described on this page:

http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/practical-building-a-unit-test-framework.html

Both approaches are based on commonly used features and coding style
of their respective languages. I think this is good example of how
language vs. language comparisons should be done.

AdSR