Python indentation deters newbies?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Tue Aug 17 07:40:36 EDT 2004

Op 2004-08-16, Peter Hansen schreef <peter at engcorp.com>:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> On 2004-08-16, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>>>Please, *why* did it put you off?
>> Dunno, it just did.
>>
>> It seems to me that you're asking for a rational explanation
>> for an emotional response.  It's like asking somebody "*why*
>> don't you like pickled beets?" The answer you get is "I just
>> don't."
>
> Hmm... not for me.  The answer would be "because they
> taste like dirt",

That is not an rational explanation. You have just stated
that the taste is similar to an other taste you don't
like. Now give an explanation why you don't like the
taste of dirt.

> or "I hate purple", or "anything pickled
> sucks".

Hating purple and stating that anything pickled sucks
don't strike me a rational explanations.

> "I just don't" looks a lot like a cop-out.

How about: that is how my tongue and brain are wired.

--
Antoon Pardon