MySQLdb 'server not initialized'

Sibylle Koczian Sibylle.Koczian at Bibliothek.Uni-Augsburg.de
Wed Aug 4 05:26:52 EDT 2004

Daniel Baggott schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeking assistance in troubleshooting connecting to MySQL (4.0.20)
> using Python (2.3.4) and MySQLdb (1.0.0).  When I attempt to make a
> connection, I get the following exception:
>    _mysql_exceptions.InternalError: (-1, 'server not initialized')
>
> The database is definitely running as I can connect to it using the
> mysql client.  Also, when I attempt to connect to MySQL from within
> Python, I don't see any messages in the MySQL logs (ie the .log and .err
> files in /usr/local/mysql/data/).

If the server isn't running you'd get another exception anyway:

OperationalError: (2003, "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost'
(10061)")

I tried on Windows, but I can't think there's a difference at this point.

What happens if you try the same thing with user "root" and his password
- just for diagnostic purposes?

> Does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to how to figure out
> what's going wrong?  Also, if there's a better forum for posting this
> question, please point me in the right direction.

There is a help forum for MySQLdb on SourceForge:

But it doesn't look very active to me, at least at the moment. So I
wouldn't call it better, just another possibility.

Regards,
Koczian