Paul Graham on Python hackers

Bryan Olson fakeaddress at nowhere.org
Mon Aug 9 22:27:20 EDT 2004

beliavsky at aol.com wrote:
 > Python, unlike Java, does not force OOP upon you -- it can be treated
 > as an imperative language.

That's kind of fuzzy terminology.  Both Python and Java are
imperative object-oriented languages.

 > I think this is a plus especially when
 > first learning the language or writing small programs. A Hello World
 > program is just

There I agree.

 > Python to me is a multi-paradigm language (imperative, OO, functional,
 > generic), like C++ but interpreted and with dynamic typing.

Functional?  Not so much.  In viable functional languages
expressions/statement are evaluated primarily for their return
values and not their side-effects.  (In purely functional
languages, there are no side-effects).

I don't think it's much like C++ either.  In C++, things like
identifiers, modules, and classes don't exist at run-time.

--
--Bryan