Size of a remote URL

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Aug 30 14:02:25 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-30, Justin <justin__devine at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ok.  I believe you are correct.  I have observed the two MODES of the
> download dialog box.  HOWEVER there are still some instances in which
> Internet Explorer knows the size of something that my code cannot
> determine.  So now I have this conclusion:  The instances where I
> cannot get the size but a browser can must exist because I am not
> asking the server the right question.

I guess you should trace traffic on the connection and see how
IE is getting the length.  http://www.ethereal.com/

> Perhaps "Content-Length" is not included in the default
> headers, but the server will provide this header if it is
> asked too?

Not that I'm aware of.

BTW, what protocols are you talking about?  Just HTTP?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  BARBARA STANWYCK
                                  at               makes me nervous!!