allowing braces around suites

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Tue Aug 31 03:51:34 EDT 2004

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho at yksi.ifi.uio.no> writes:

> "I don't subscribe to programming dogmas", hmm?  I guess "braces are
> unworthy of Python" isn't dogma, it's the Truth.

Yes, it probably qualifies as dogma. But I don't subscribe to it. I'm
merely questioning the relative appropriateness of braces to that of
using 'pass' to help your editor automatically indent your
code. Different people's judgments will differ on this. The same
person's judgment may well change with time.

But do remember that variations on the theme of "let's have some
braces" have been done so many times, and not once (to my knowledge,
which is by no means complete) has one had any noteworthy success.

OTOH, given that the @pie syntax that has made it into an alpha
release, who knows ... I never thought I'd see that day.