Flython?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Aug 12 15:14:17 EDT 2004

Just been looking at Flash and ActionScript...

In the vein of Jython, I wonder what it would take to build
a Flython?  (Lousy name, I know.)  That would take Python
source, presumably a subset since some things couldn't be supported,
and compile it into ActionScript bytecode (aka the bytecode compiled
from ECMAScript source for the Macromedia Flash player environment).

With that, it would be pretty easy to write applications which
have a Flash front end, but with pretty much all the logic
on front and back implemented in Python.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of such an idea on
the web yet.  A search turns up only part of a thread
where Cameron Laird asked about marrying Flash and Python
and I replied with a reference to use of Flash in
Twisted's LivePage...
(http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=vpdqlca3vkvp5c%40corp.supernews.com)

-Peter